June 09, 2005

early Thursday morning, 9 June 2005: [12:00 midnight]:

Keith.

An amazing thing happened today – I received a reply from Don. I have had to read his letter several times and, no doubt, will have to read it several more times to really absorb it. Isn’t it amazing that when I finally get to the end of my rope and turn awful and nasty along comes Don’s letter. Wow, do I ever have some apologies to make!

Poor Don, he works way too hard, Keith. See if you can get him to take some time for himself. He is a nice man – straight up and honest – and I think he’s fantastic. He’s gone to some trouble over me and it is very much appreciated. I realise that he’s probably doing it for your sake and not mine but that’s fine. It’s clear that he loves you and I’m so glad you’ve got such lovely friends. So here, roughly, is what he had to say:

The parcel was returned! I am so unhappy with the Post Office – I have paid for a redirection for twelve months, plus I visited the Post Office twice and went over to the old house I don’t know how many times. That is so cruel of them to have sent it back and it just shows how uncaring some people can be. Anyway when Don goes next to Vancouver he is going to go get it and mail it himself. I appreciate that very much and I’m sure that you do, too. He was even concerned that it was "safe".

Don believes that I am obsessed with you (and I agree) and that you cared for me as "just" a friend and not romantically. Hmmm. Is that what you told him? When you told me that you loved me how am I meant to take it?

He says that you are divorced from Colleen and that I shouldn’t be cross with her, that she has nothing to do with any of it. He doesn’t like the way that I have been angry with "the family" but he doesn’t seem to be able to see things from my point of view and with my limited knowledge of some unwritten rules that I knew nothing about. Please understand – I did not know that I was not to have contact with anyone. Grizz, you never, ever told me that, I swear it (and, damn it, you know it, too). And, for God’s sake, I only ever got in touch with the Flyfishers Online Group!

Well, Don has been a great friend to you, Keith. He doesn’t at all understand or approve of where I am coming from but he has been great to me in spite of that. I wish that somehow I could return the favour but I have no idea how. Another sad thing – in all your hunting photos I only have one of you with Mario, all the rest are you alone. (It’s the fishing ones where you are with your clients or mates or whatever.) So, consequently I have no photo at all of Don or you two together and that’s a shame.

Well, I feel a bit chastised by Don’s comments but I am grateful that he is honest and so thankful that he is going to what is clearly trouble for him to get your package to me (I’m so grateful and excited all at once!).

There were some things that I wanted to talk to you about from this morning but, honey, I am so tired. I’ve been really sick with this cold – I even left work early – the instant I managed to mail out the last of the external exams to my students I left. And I’m not going back until Tuesday (this weekend is the Queen’s Birthday holiday so we all have Monday off). Maybe I’ll get a chance to talk to you about it tomorrow morning.

Anyway, a huge thank you to Don for his very great kindness to me!

And a huge thank you to you, Keith, for loving me the way you do – whether it’s romantic or not. I know what you said to me and when you said it and I have proof. But, really, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks – it’s about us and what we mean to each other. You are very, very close to me and you know how to contact me and let me know what you do and do not want. I just have to give you that space and be open to you and not put my interpretation on what you are saying but try to understand it from your point of view. Which is what I always try to do.

Anyway, hon, I’ll see you tomorrow. Be well and happy – we are (mostly) fine down here. [And I’m sooo excited about your package! ;-) ] Loving you (regardless of what anybody thinks) –

- your Susan
P.S.: Paul lives about as far from Sydney as 108 is from Abbotsford and he is coming up this weekend. He bought a historic old home and is doing it up and I might be going with him to look at doors and stained glass and stuff. And I'm going to be meeting some of his family as well - his brother, Matt, is leaving on his solo sailboat for a trip around Australia and then the world. Plus one of the guys from the gym is in the semi-finals of a singing competiition (with a prize of $30,000!!) so a bunch of us are going along on Sunday to support him. He's a great bloke and is getting engaged soon so he could really use the money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home