November 02, 2005

Wednesday, 2 November 2005 [7:30 p.m.]:

Keith –

Oh, hon, I don’t know what to say…. You know, I was all excited about finding the Shakespeare fly rod and reel combo today and I wanted to share that with you and then…

…and then I searched Google for "Fly Fishing 101" and guess what came up? In amongst the other stuff that I was reading – there was Jessi’s post on Fly Angler’s On Line from early February 2003. And her address on Yahoo.ca. And her address has the numbers "420" – does that mean her birthday is April 20th and maybe you did call her April?? I am having a really hard time believing that you would lie to me, sweetie, you just weren’t the type to lie. So until there is some evidence to the contrary as far as I am concerned Jessi = April, OK?

I was completely taken aback by my reaction to seeing Jessi’s post. She sounded so sweet and nice and proud of her Dad (and so she should be!). She also sounded really bouncy and happy and not like someone that, just two years later, would have to say a final farewell to you. How hard it must have been for her! So when I saw her name and her post and her email address, I just sobbed. I cried and cried and cried like I haven’t done for a while now. I miss you so and I wonder how Jess is doing and if she’s still doing her Uni course – you were proud of her, too! Anyway, I went and splashed cold water all over my face, tried to hang up the laundry and do a bit of gardening but I just had to come back in and start writing to you. You are sort of the beginning and the end of everything for me, you know.

A beautiful sunset out there – all pastel and iridescent with "God beams". It’s been overcast at night so no stars but it looks as if there might be some tonight.

Anyway, the rod is 8’ in three pieces, "Contender" reel, floating line, tapered leader and two flies. I also have the four flies I bought before plus twelve salmon/trout flies that I bought on eBay and on their way to me now. I will have to find a tube for the rod to take it with my pack on the plane.

Looked at hiking boots today and tents and fuel bottles. Oh – I also ordered the 1: 50,000 and 1 : 250,000 topo maps for the section of the Skeena that I will be hiking. Will I need to abseil? Should I have my Mum’s deer rifle shipped up there? What about wet flies? Now don’t go getting too lazy in Heaven and sitting around with all that Sleeman’s! – You have a job to do now being my guardian angel! And what better angel could a girl headed to the Skeena have than one named "Grizz"?

K, hon, feeling a bit better now – I guess I wasn’t ready to have Jess’s info right in my face like that (although I had asked Don recently to see if he could manage to get some info out of her about where on the Skeena and about the bit where you called me "April").

You keep looking out for me, hon… I know that this month and the next few are going to be fairly hard going as anniversaries roll ‘round. I just want you to be happy – that’s all I ever wanted. For ever yours –

- Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home