October 12, 2005

Tuesday, 11 October 2005 [9:30 p.m.]:

K.D. –

Hey ya’, hon! In spite of it being eight months tomorrow since you passed away, I have been pretty darn happy considering. Chalk it up to that letter from Don and knowing your package will soon be on its way. I have to admit that I got a bit choked up on the train home today – not exactly sure why but I had to fight to keep in control and stop the tears from raining down.

Couple of things happened today – had to go into our Main Campus in the city to do the first day of a two-day database course (Microsoft Access). The course was pretty interesting and the manual that they supplied was excellent. It will make a great resource when it comes time for me to troubleshoot the two legacy databases that we have in the Postgraduate department.

Main Campus was gorgeous – the jacaranda tree in the Main Quad is getting bigger and bigger and it actually looked as if you could see the blossoms starting to form on the tips of the branches – it looks like a warm Spring and an early Summer. They have done a lot of restoration work on Campus and it is certainly a romantic setting with all the old Gothic revival buildings (complete with gargoyles!). Do you remember that little card that I sent you with the picture taken in the Main Quad with the jacaranda blossoms tucked inside? I didn’t know you that well then but you sure were supportive of me when it came time for me to graduate from there. Thanks you so much for all the many, many ways that you tried to look after me. (Aw, sh*t, here come the tears again.)

During lunch today I went to one of the libraries on Campus (there are quite a few!). I got out a book specifically on PV, one on leukemia cells and another on clinical haematology. Had a squiz at a number of journal articles the other day – I’m trying to bring my knowledge of the disease up to speed sufficient for me to be able to converse with the researchers (mainly in Adelaide) already working it. Researchers at a couple of hospitals there won a large grant from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in the U.S. and my understanding is that grants aren’t given outside the U.S. that often. I am hoping to contact a woman on the research team in the hopes that she can help frame my research question. The haematology text is big enough to make a good doorstop – I just had a look and it’s 1,896 pages long!

Another thing happened today – Ruffie got under the desk (she likes to get under there when I am on the computer) – AND SHE CHEWED THROUGH THE MODEM CABLE! When the damn thing dries out, I am going to try and wrap it with duct tape and see if I can get a signal then. I can’t believe it – and it’s an $88 call out fee (for the first fifteen minutes!) not including parts. I am going to go to a couple of electronics place and see how much it costs to buy one (doesn’t need to be very long) and just connect it up myself. I can’t believe it – I have so little money right now and it yanks my chain to have to spend it on something like that. And I can’t do anything about it until payday ‘cuz I have like $16 to my name.

K, hon, I’ve got to go – I don’t want another late night (and I can sleep in tomorrow – yippee!). I’ve kind of felt you around me lately so it’s been good (bittersweet, but good). It’s just fantastic to read about all the wonderful places in BC in these two guidebooks that I’ve received – I even know that the name "Skeena" means "River of Mist" in Gitksan. It sounds lovely around there, honey, and I can surely see why you would want to be there.

OK, time for a little scientific reading [and maybe some BC guidebooks thrown in ;-) ]. I will think of you constantly tomorrow – how my brain kept saying "You should be on the plane!" over and over that day Warwick and I were in Chinatown. And I should have been on the plane, too, Keith – I really should have been there.

Rest easy, sweetheart, there is lots of love headed your way (and not just from me, but from all your friends and family). Thanks for being there for me when I needed it (and for those times when I didn’t even realise that I did). You had a knack, hon, in teasing out the best in people – maybe because you were the best yourself.

Love ya’ heaps and miss ya’ lots –

- always your Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home