June 27, 2005

Monday, 27 June 2005 [7:15 p.m.]:

KD –

I just found my little grizzly statue while looking for something else – I suppose it’s really a child’s wooden toy and not a statue. It made me think of that photo of you where you shot the bear from the boat. I don’t think I’ve told you about it so here goes. I bought it in either Wrangell or Sitka Alaska in the summer of 1980 when I was working up there. It’s unfinished and carved out of pine. There is a carved grizzly and when you push the button at the back he pulls a large fish up onto land. Very clever and very nicely done – I will have to take a photo of it and post it. I should have sent it to you, I’m sure you would have liked it very much. Oh, yeah, it says "Made in U.S.S.R." on the bottom. A grizzly for my Grizz. Oh, that reminds me, a couple in their 50s and 60s were both killed in their tent in Alaska by a grizzly yesterday. They never even got a shot off from their rifle.

I don’t know why but the lines of a very sad Henry Lawson poem have been going through my head lately. I hope it isn’t so.

Past Carin’ by Henry Lawson (excerpt)

‘Twas ten years first, then came the worst,
All for a barren clearin’.
I thought, I thought my heart would burst
When first my man went shearin’;
He’s drovin’ in the great North-west,
I don’t know how he’s farin’;
And I, the one that loved him best,
Have grown to be past carin’,
I’ve grown to be past carin’,
Past waitin’ and past wearin’:
The girl that waited long ago
Has lived to be past carin’.


Please, please, please, Keith, please don’t leave me. Missing you.

- Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home