December 25, 2005

Sunday evening, 25 December 2005 [10:30 p.m.]:

Hey there, KD!

Well, this has been a truly crap Christmas (bet you were thinking the same about this time last year).

After buying lots of food and treats and alcohol (I never buy alcohol and I went out and got three bottles!) Warwick rings up at 6:30 p.m. and doesn’t come over. He was supposed to come on Friday, yesterday we were supposed to go deliver some Christmas gifts (for Graham and John S. – I was going to drive down to Warren’s myself) and today have Christmas. Then on Friday he announces that he will have Christmas at his Dad’s and come over in the afternoon and go to Alison’s tomorrow. And he hasn’t come over at all. I don’t think that I’ve ever spent Christmas on my own before and there’s an extra sting when you look at all the food that I bought for today. So I sent him a couple of SMS messages after and I have told him that I want him to have moved completely out of this house by Tuesday night. I will get a student or someone in to rent his room. He is twenty-two years old and hasn’t contributed to the house at all and I have had it. It will make it so much easier for me to have someone in to help pay the bills.

I went out to the car tonight to check for a receipt that I was missing and as I turned to come back inside, the first of a flock of fruit bats started flying overhead. At first there were five and then more and more came from the direction of Duck River (about two blocks away). I’d estimate that there must have been about thirty of them – I can’t imagine what all they would find to eat for that many. They were quite high up, high enough that I couldn’t hear the leathery flap of their wings. Three of them were quite large. You know they quarrel when they are feeding just like a couple of lorikeets. I guess bats on Christmas evening sounds kind of weird, eh?

Just before I started this post, I had a look at the Skeena again on Google Earth – they’ve added some roads or a trail!!! Tomorrow I will start adding them to my topo maps. The road starts at Hazelton and goes as far as the Babine River. There are some other trails marked but they aren’t continuous with the one to the Babine. Eventually, I will get them all plotted on the maps.

Well, it is only 11 p.m. but I am feeling a bit tired and want to do a bit of reading before I go to bed – reading Amy Tan’s new book "Saving Fish From Drowning". I finished Tim Winton’s "The Turning" and I had promised it to Edwina but I want to read it again before I loan it out. I think I promised it to Rick, too.

‘night, hon. I hope Jessie had an OK day – her first Christmas without you. Keith, I want to meet her – figure out how to make it happen, OK?

Love ya’, sweetie.

- Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home