January 29, 2005

Mark and the dance at El Arish

For a while I lived in Townsville, North Queensland and for a while I was a fan of bush music. A big folk dance was planned for the little town of El Arish, about 130 km (80 m) south of Cairns. I drove up from Townsville and had a great time learning dances like "Waves of Tory" and enjoying the music the bush band played.

Part way into the night I was pushed into the microphone of one of the performers - and the mike smacked into his guitar. I was horrified and said so. I apologised profusely and he tried to reassure me that everything was alright. That night I slept on the floor with lots of others in the Country Women's Association's hall. In the late afternoon of the next day I drove back to Townsville in my beat up old car.

About three-quarters of the way home I realised that I was being followed. It was a bit scary - I slowed down and so did they, I sped up and they did likewise. I'm the type of person who like to meet things head on so I pulled over to see what they would do. They pulled over, too.

Who should pop out of the car? - The guitarist from El Arish, of course. That was how I came to meet Mark, the man who I was to love the most of anyone in my life. He followed me, he said, because I had been so concerned about damaging his guitar and he hadn't met anyone like me.

He lived in Innisfail and I lived in Townsville but that didn't seem to stop the most amazing relationship I was ever to have. Perhaps because it burned so fierce it was destined to burn out long before it should have. I always thought that we didn't take the time to build a solid foundation - we built a tower to the sky but it was flimsy and destined to fail.

Mark - if you ever read this I want you to know: I love you and I hope my love lifts you up. Warwick is 21 now and you'd be amazed to see him, so different from the baby you knew. You are in our thoughts - love, S.

4 Comments:

At Sun Jan 30, 03:26:00 am, Blogger Vernita Hoyt said...

Susan, I will be reading your blog regularly. Writing is a great way to work through life's challenges. The intensity of a relationship does beg the question that "it burned so fierce it was destined to burn out long before it should have." That reminds me of the quote, "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Loss is not an easy thing to accept. Oh, the emotions.

Thanks for commenting on my blog http://txsauce.blogspot.com/ this morning.

 
At Tue Mar 29, 09:29:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'DAY,
Can't find you on ICQ just a quick Hello and trust things are going well
Myyrdn

 
At Wed Mar 30, 12:05:00 am, Blogger Susan said...

Lindsay -

Well, I have to admit that I am shocked - how did you find my blog?? I am also mystified as to why you commented on a post that I made at the end of January and not one of my more recent posts.

I felt your reaction to me was, how can I say it?, a bit cool so after you wrote to say 'don't write, I've met someone', I removed you from my ICQ contacts.

As to whether or not things are going well - well, my Canadian boyfriend died on the 13th of February, how do you think I am going? If you've been reading the blog you'd know that I am completely ratshit. And we have to move, on top of it all.

Enjoy Kismet and I hope you get a satisfactory resolution with the NRMA and your bike and all.


Susan

 
At Wed Mar 30, 09:15:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realise that responses went on a date basis(sorry) I am also sorry to hear of a death in anyone's circle;but it is the removal of all worry and pain for the one Passing Over,and those who are left behind must bear the loss. Just remember
" That which is remembered with pleasantness is never really Gone"
Physical death is only a transformation too another level
But I do understand your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home