January 08, 2005

About Théo and the scent of lavender

Théo was a guitarist from New Caledonia who developed cancer in his left arm. Doctors in Noumea told him that the only hope for a cure was to amputate the arm - a difficult decision for a musician. But he reluctantly agreed in the hope of a cure.

Unfortunately, the disease progressed and Théo was flown to Australia. I met Théo in a Sydney hospital when I was in training as a radiation therapist. I was on Théo's treatment team.

The cancer had eaten all the flesh on Théo's left chest - right down to the ribs. What was left of his flesh glistened and oozed - it was difficult to mark out the treatment area. Things got so bad that Théo had to be tied to the treatment table. His pupils danced and jittered in his eye sockets from the pain. The two French interpreters who accompanied him were of no use - they stood in the hallway chatting instead of helping us understand how best Théo could be helped. I didn't speak any French but I knew he wanted to go home to New Caledonia to be with his family, especially his daughter.

One day I picked some lavender and brought it to the hospital for Théo. I held it to his nose and I will never forget the way he said "lavande" and tried to smile.

Soon after the oncologist finally admitted defeat and Théo was allowed to return home.

Three days later he died.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home